New guidance on cookies: not chocolate chip but the digital kind…
What are cookies?
Cookies are text files which typically contain two pieces of information: a site name and unique user ID.
How do they work?
· Implied consent is no longer permitted – the user must take a clear and positive action to give their consent to non-essential cookies – continuing to use your web site does not constitute valid consent;
· You must clearly inform users about what your cookies are and what they do before they consent to them being used;
· If you use any third party cookies, you must clearly and specifically name who the third parties are and explain what they will do with the information;
· You cannot use any pre-ticked boxes for non-essential cookies;
· You must provide users with controls over any non-essential cookies and still allow users to access your web site if they don’t consent to these cookies; and
· You must ensure that any non-essential cookies are not placed on your landing page until the user has given their consent.
Posted on 6 November, 2019 by Ortolan