Provision of independent legal advice to exiting employees
Global IT Consultancy
A global IT consultancy business which employs over 10,000 UK staff required external legal support for exiting employees. As their business flexes to accommodate customer demands and economic circumstances, they have a regular need to recommend an independent legal adviser to outgoing staff. Ortolan Legal’s employment team contact details are regularly provided to exiting employees.
Often when senior staff leave the employment of any company, arrangements are agreed in principle to enable an amicable parting of the ways. Companies typically want such arrangements recorded in settlement agreements. This ensures that the employee effectively waives his/her employment claims in exchange for an enhanced severance package. It is a legal requirement that any individual who wishes to enter into a settlement agreement must be advised by a solicitor.
Due to our flexible structure, we can respond quickly and effectively to deal with contractual matters and take swift instructions from outgoing staff. Advice can be provided over the phone if necessary and settlement agreements can be signed off swiftly with no disadvantage to the employee.
- The departing employees obtain rapid, independent advice from a solicitor with their best interest at heart.
- Our employment team are quite clear that our client is the employee, but can call on their historic knowledge of dealing with the employer on similar matters in order to obtain a fair result for the outgoing employee.
- The agreements can be concluded expeditiously.
- The business is pleased that it can direct staff to a reputable and cost-effective source of advice for a quick, no fuss approach.
- Over 150 settlement agreements have been completed by Ortolan Legal’s employment team relating to this single employer.