We are a rapidly expanding referrals-based commercial law firm. Our clients range from start-ups to large public sector organisations and public and private multi-national companies. They come to us because our staff are exceptional, and because we understand what they need: accurate, timely and effective legal support. With Ortolan Legal you can be confident that the advice you receive will be the product of experience and technical excellence.
Corporate, Commercial & Tax
We advise on all areas of corporate and commercial law, led in every case by one of our senior specialist solicitors.
Corporate services include:
- Business formation and structuring
- Mergers, acquisitions and divestments of businesses
- Corporate governance
- Investment and fund raising
- Corporate re-organisations
- Joint ventures and partnerships
We recognise that well structured contracts are the foundation upon which to build a strong, successful business. We guide our clients through the process, ensuring they secure nothing less than a crystal clear, balanced and enforceable set of agreements. Areas we have recently advised on include:
- Supply of services and supply of goods agreements (including international agreements)
- Logistics agreements including distribution and warehousing contracts
- Manufacturing and supply chain agreements
- Outsourcing agreements
- Advertising and promotion contracts
- Commercial agency agreements
- Confidentiality and data protection
- Franchising and joint ventures
- Standard terms of business
We advise on most commercial tax issues including:
- Capital gains tax
- Income tax
- Stamp duty and SDLT
- Share schemes
- tax clearances and tax treaty claims
We advise on all aspects of employment law, both contentious and non-contentious. Businesses and senior individuals look to us to secure their interests in a rapidly changing legislative landscape.
Areas of expertise include:
- Representing clients in the Employment Tribunal, including unfair/constructive dismissal and discrimination cases;
- Advising on TUPE legislation in the context of business sales as well as outsourcing and in-sourcing arrangements;
- Trade unions and collective bargaining;
- Supporting HR teams in maintaining up-to-date personnel materials such as employment contracts, staff handbooks and policy manuals.
Dispute Resolution and Litigation
When it comes to disputes and litigation, we understand what most people are looking for:
- A favourable settlement
- A swift resolution
- A process that won’t cost the earth
Our team assesses each case with these goals in mind, drawing on their considerable experience to help clients plot the most efficient route to an advantageous resolution.
It may be that mediation is the best approach. However, where a more aggressive stance is required, we pursue our client’s case with rigour and tenacity.
Areas of expertise include:
- Breach of contract
- Professional Negligence
- Economic duress
- Issues related to the Bribery Act
We are experts in both contentious and non-contentious property matters.
Sales and acquisition
Our lawyers are comfortable dealing with large and varied property portfolios and are adept at navigating the often highly complex transactional issues that are involved.
We also understand that even a simple sale or acquisition can be daunting and we are ready to provide straightforward, sensible advice to guide you through the process.
Rents and leases
We have successfully resolved a range of landlord and tenant matters including:
- Disputes and possession
- Dilapidations and repairs
- Service charge issues and arrears
We advise on large estates and developments including preparing land for development.
Our extensive experience of site redevelopments means that we are used to working closely with surveyors, project managers and other professionals.
Lastly, if alternative methods of dispute resolution fail in contentious cases, we offer a robust property litigation service.
Insolvency and Restructuring
If your business is struggling, don’t wait for the issues to multiply. Seek expert advice and be prepared to commit to decisive changes at an early stage.
Our solicitors are used to working with financial institutions of all sizes and types. We develop a detailed understanding of each client’s situation and design a strategy to help steer their business towards success.
If insolvency does occur, we offer a complete range of services to ensure the best possible outcome for a company’s stakeholders. The areas we cover include:
- Liquidations, both compulsory and voluntary;
- Insolvency litigation (both for and against insolvency practitioners);
- Shareholder disputes/unfair prejudice proceedings.